Tuesday, June 28, 2011

"Full-Time Grown-Up"

Do you remember when we were kids, wishing we could grow-up, faster, and be grown-ups? I know I wasn't the only one who was "Sick of being a kid" when I was like 13.

FF twelve years and I am a grown-up.

I have been married (at the courthouse) & divorced (not proud of this but it was a BAD situation, all around). I have a 3 year old whom I have primarily raised on my own. I am in school full-time, slated to graduate with my masters, spring 2012 (may). I am working part-time (24-30 hrs/week) M-Th while shadowing in schools (during the school yr) and Pre-schools. Paying bills & rent for a house that I will own by this time 2013. I have a gym membership and my daughter tumbles at the gym 1 day a week (when I remember).


When did all this growing-up happen? I feel like I just graduated HIGH SCHOOL. Like just last week I was staying at school till 9pm and coming on Saturdays for guard or yearbook.


But last week, I was not in high-school, I worked, got into a car accident, had to get a rental for 14 days, schedule to get my un-driavable, car fixed, get a new carseat,  paid bills & stressed about money, went grocery shopping, DID SCHOOL WORK, did dishes, laundry, cooked dinner, had my mom and step-dad over for dinner,  went on a "date" with my wonderful, understanding boyfriend, went to a birthday party for my 1 year old cousin, went to a family dinner at my Grans, Had my dad, step-mom & little sister over to catch-up, played outside, daily, with my girl, watched tv, etc. 


That is just a snap-shot of my everyday life. I am this busy, sometimes busier, every week. I love every minute of it.


In the last 10 weeks I have gained weight... I haven't had time to go to the gym. I know excuses. 


As a child I always wondered how my mom got so much done in one day. She too was a single mom. I have realized that, what ever needs to get done, has to be a priority. I have to decide how important said thing is to me.


As of Sunday... I have made it a priority to get back to the gym.. made it part of my daily schedule. I will make use of the money I am spending for my membership each month. I can't justify just letting that money go to waste.


I lost a ton of weight 3 years ago when E was born, I gained about 8lbs back while I was living in PA. When I moved back to FL last June... I lost about 6 of the 8 that I had gained. We were always moving, looking at houses, moved into my house, was single, etc. I was only in 1 class and had a lot of time. I was at the gym 5 days a week. 


In just one year, I am at the tail end of my graduate program, I have been/am in 2-3 classes at a time. I am settled into the house, working more, and in a HAPPY RELATIONSHIP and heavier than I have been in years. I am no longer comfortable with myself or in my clothes. 


I expressed to my wonderful man how I felt and he is now a member of my gym. He said he wants to support me in my desire to loose weight. Now when I get home from work (he is a teacher and is off for the summer), he is in gym clothes ready to go & has fed E her afternoon snack and she is ready to go. All I have to do is change and we are out the door. 


I am following the old weight watchers program (not the new points plus), as well as tracking my calories, exercise, etc with My Fitness Pal on  my iPhone and computer. 

Who knew being an adult would also come with weight struggles? and There never being enough hours in the day.

Yesterday was good. Followed the plan of gym when I get home, no lounging around till after my little is in bed. We had a great day. I had less stress, who knew that about 1 hour to myself at the gym is exactly what I needed. I can't believe it has been a month sice I was at the gym. I don't know how I have lived without it.

I hope in one month I can update with a 4-5 lbs loss (1 lb a week is my goal).

It is going to take some discipline to stay on track and go to the gym, M-Sat and do my homework (not fiddling around on the web) the minute E goes to bed instead of when I get home from work. My last class ends in Oct... I am off all of Nov/Dec and start student teaching Jan.

Needless to say things won't be slowing down anytime soon so its time it make things work in my day-to-day schedule.

...

Keep up in between posts, I Tweet , A lot.

xo
-Kandid Kelli


No comments: